top of page

The History of Sawyer

The history of Sawyer is a testament to the resilience and community spirit of North Dakota. Founded as a vital hub for regional agriculture and transportation, the town has preserved its heritage while embracing the future. From its early days as a bustling rail stop to its current status as a welcoming home for the Flashes, the spirit of Sawyer remains unchanged.

So, the story begins...

Congress passed the Homesteaders Act in 1862, which allowed the settlers to file on land. After living on it for 5 years, the settler would own the land. in 1880, congress reduced that time to 6 months. Eventually, the Pre-emptions Act allowed settlers to purchase 160 acres for $1.25 an acre, providing he or she did not own more than 320 acres in any other state or territory. The Tree Claim Act allowed settlers to purchase another 160 acres for $14, providing trees were planted. As of February 1905, the soil in this locality is a black loam from 19 inches to three feet deep, with a clay subsoil with a large percentage of lime. Which makes for an overly productive soil. Potatoes, turnips, Onions, well- all root vegetables due extremely well! Settlers made their way to North Dakota, Sawyer area, in hopes of growing many crops.

 

In the days of the homesteaders, religious gatherings and sermons were held in the home. The only guidance given was that of the family Bible. Christian faith guided many settlers through hard times, and the formation of various congregations secured the bond between individuals in the growing community of Sawyer. Rev. Pleasant Royce traveled from Velva to Sawyer and Logan areas to serve the settlers. He was credited with performing the marriage ceremony in Bismarck of Isaac Woodliff and Lizzie Martin, the first couple from the valley to be wed. In 1905, a meeting was held at the schoolhouse to organize the construction of a structure for the members of the Congregational Church at an estimated cost of $1,500. When numbers increased in 1908, members of the church constructed a building that measured 26 x 32 foot. This building was sold in 1924 for $600 as it became too small for the growing congregation. A church built in Velva was purchased and moved six miles south of Sawyer. The congregation was reorganized in 1936 and became the Sawyer Mennonite Brethren Church. Again, the congregation outgrew this church in the late 1950s, and in 1956 it was voted to construct a new church in the village. Groundwork for the 40 x 80-foot structure began in June of 1956. This structure today is known as St. Peters Luther Church.

 

In the early 1900s, Adolph Klimpel and his steam engine were put to work by moving a vacant schoolhouse onto the 2 acres of land donated by Robert Klimpel. The Nazarene Church was organized in 1908, the Sawyer Church of Nazarene was the first church of that denomination east of the Rocky Mountains and West of the Mississippi River. In 1910, L.A. McGrew donated pews that he had built. In 1910 the parsonage was built. The Church and parsonage at that time shared outhouse use with the congregation. 1944-1945 a foyer was added as well as an office, inside stairway to the basement, and bathroom facilities.

​

 

The Sawyer School District organized in 1888 as Pleasant School District No.16, Names after the first pastor in the area. In 1904, a two-room wooden schoolhouse was built. But by 1910 a $10,000 bond allowed the first bring schoolhouse to be built just north of the old wooden structure. Sawyer held its first graduation in 1920. This was the first and last time the old schoolhouse was used for graduation. During the 1930s, attendance was slim, and teachers were paid $45 a month. In the 1950s construction began of a new gymnasium and an addition to the high school which took two years to complete. The most recent addition came in 1980 when a second, larger gymnasium and more classrooms we build to make room for the increasing enrollment. In 1985 Deering students were transported to Sawyer for morning classes, then return to Deering for the remaining of the day in order to cut the cost of operations. in 1988, they took it one step further and started sharing a superintendent. Today, our school is k-12.

 

Sawyer was considered a wealthy growing community in the early 1900s, as crops were good, and the economy was booming. In 1906 there was a series of bank robberies in the Sawyer area. Would-be bank robbers attempted to blow the door off the safe of the Sawyer State Bank. Three or four men succeeded in removing the outside door with the first blast, but after the second blast, citizens began hurrying toward the bank, and the burglars were scared off. However, a later attempt, possibly by the same group, was successful. The bank robbers managed to get away with $4,665 after they stole $150 worth of guns and ammunition from Brasset & Lunds hardware store. This building is today Whiskey Bandits Bar and still has the vault in it.

​

To read more of the history from YESTERDAYS OF THE SAWYER AREA download the pdf to read the book: yesterdaysofthesawyerareabook.pdf

 

Photos below are of the Sawyer School Baseball Field being built in 1993. Submitted by Leonna Kotaska.

749300431_27568970796045511_2884011055014354099_n.jpg
749269006_27568970782712179_2260828529219069301_n.jpg
751549813_27568970946045496_1833740040307978146_n.jpg
bottom of page